LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - More than three dozen track and field records, including Worlds and American records in throws pentathlon, were set at this year's Nevada Senior Games, a multi-sport athletic competition for athletes ages 50 or better. Of the eleven new women's records, one was in race walk and four were in power walk.
New Nevada Senior Games Women's Records in 1500-meter Race Walk & Power Walk
- 1500m Race Walk, Women 80-84 – Renate Cheetham, age 82 (Surrey, BC), 12:06.55
- 1500m Power Walk, Women 50-54 – Theresa Theofelis, age 54 (Federal Way, WA), 11:25.14
- 1500m Power Walk, Women 65-69 – Sandra Stapleton, age 67 (Henderson, NV), 10:02.75
- 1500m Power Walk, Women 75-79 – Janice Bosco, age 75 (Henderson, NV), 13:55.88
New Nevada Senior Games Women's Record in 5K Power Walk (Track)
- 5K Power Walk, Women 65-69 – Sandra Stapleton, age 67 (Henderson, NV), 34:29.67
New Nevada Senior Games Women's Records in Track & Field
- 50m Dash, Women 80-84 – Christa Bortignon, age 82 (W Vancouver, BC), 9.38 seconds
- 100m Dash, Women 80-84 – Christa Bortignon, age 82 (W Vancouver, BC), 17.99 seconds
- 200m Dash, Women 65-69 – Loretta Woodward, age 65 (Powder Springs, GA), 33.78 seconds
- 400m Dash, Women 70-74 – Sheila Allison, age 74 (Surrey, BC), 1:36.41
- Hammer Throw, Women 60-64 – Dybvig Alegria, age 61 (Tucson, AZ), 127’ 7” at mark 38.88
- Throws Pentathlon, Women 60-64 – Dybvig Alegria, age 61 (Tucson, AZ), 4,243 points
Boise Man Set New Worlds & American Records in Throws Pentathlon
William Platts, a 91-year-old from Boise, Idaho, set the Worlds and American records for his age group in the throws pentathlon that consists of discus, hammer, javelin, shot put, and weight throws.
With a score of 4,927, Platts broke the World record of 4,099 points set by Borg Stannisius (Russia) in early 2019, and the American record of 3,435 points set by George Riser (Kent, OH) in 2014.
About the Nevada Senior Games
The Nevada Senior Games, a not-for-profit organization, offers annual athletic competitions for men and women ages 50 and older to better demonstrate the positive aspects of aging, and to provide motivation and inspiration for improving one’s overall health and fitness.
Every September and October, participants from around the world to compete in more than 20 sports and activities. In 2020 and all even years, the Nevada Senior Games is the state’s qualifying event for the biennial National Senior Games in 20 individual and team sports ranging from archery to volleyball. The 2021 National Senior Games will be held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
# # #
Results from NevadaSeniorGames.com