The Arizona Senior Games held its power walk and race walk competitions on Saturday, Feb. 8 at Arizona State University’s Sun Angel Stadium. Race walk offered two distances: 1500 meters and 5K. Power walk competitors, wearing mesh vests, raced with race walkers in the 1500 meter distance. The small field of competitors took home medals, and qualified for the 2021 National Senior Games to be held next November in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Race Walk – 1500 meters
- Cynthia Donimari, AZ – 12:19.0
- Lucy DiMarzio, AZ – 13:02.0
- Eva Vogelsang, AZ – 14:53.0
Race Walk – 5K
- Ann Gardiner, AZ – 33:26.0
- Maryann Livingstone, AZ – 44:08.0
- Kathy Frable, UT – 39:04.0
- Elsie Kallal, AZ – 44:10.0
- Eva Vogelsang, AZ – 46:04.0
Power Walk – 1500 meters
- Carla Carpenter, NV – 10:51.0
- Lea Schoenewald, AZ – 13:02.0
- Kathy Frable, UT – 10:33.0
- Sharon Swenson, AZ – 13:20.0
To Date, Only ASG Has Completed Its 2020 Season
The Arizona Senior Games held its multisport season in February and March. The organization narrowly missed the postponements and cancellations other senior games organizers experienced in early spring, due to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. The Texas Senior Games managed to hold its cycling and ladies basketball tournament before being forced to cancel the rest of its schedule.
In May, the National Senior Games Association announced an adjusted qualification process for its 2021 National Senior Games, due to the uncertainty surrounding states being able to hold their events, and for concern for athlete, volunteer, staff, and supporting services’ health and safety.
Visit the National Senior Games Association’s website for more information including links to state senior games, past results, and more.