Eighty-eight pro women rolled up to the start line for Stage 1 of the inaugural Women’s Tour of Scotland, that country’s first-ever women’s pro cycling stage race. They faced torrential rains and cold temperatures.
By the time the peloton reached the 63 kilometer mark, the rains had caused deep standing water and flooded sections in segments of the remaining 40 kilometer course. Race officials decided to abandon the stage to ensure the safety of the cyclists and support crew.
Two sprints and one climb were completed before the race were called. Listed below are the results, as posted on WomensTourOfScotland.com, in order with points, bib number, cyclist’s name, and (team):
20km Cupar sprint (Motorola Solutions Queen of the Sprints Jersey competition):
1. (5pts) 12 Marjolein Van’t Geloof (Ale Cipollini)
2. (3pts) 26 Leah Thomas (Bigla)
3. (2pts) 41 Dani Christmas (Lotto-Soudal)
4. (1pts) 31 Abby-Mae Parkinson (Drops)
45km Grange of Lindores climb (Event Scotland Queen of the Mountains Jersey competition):
1. (8pts) 21 Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig (Bigla)
2. (6pts) 23 Elise Chabbey (Bigla)
3. (4pts) 26 Leah Thomas (Bigla)
54.9km Falkland sprint (Motorola Solutions Queen of the Sprints Jersey competition):
1. (5pts) 91 Eugenia Bujak (BTC City Ljubljana)
2. (3pts) 25 Mikayla Harvey (Bigla)
3. (2pts) 82 Chiara Consonni (Valcar Cylance Cycling)
4. (1pts) 31 26 Leah Thomas (Bigla)
Officials still plan for Stage 2 to start the next day from Glasgow to Perth.