UPDATED JULY 1 — The original 2020 USA Cycling national championship race schedule continues to be shredded by the widespread impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. Only one race, the USA Cycling Elite BMX National Championships, was held during the first half of the year. The rest of the spring races were either canceled or postponed. Now summer races have been canceled, and fall races are probably tentative as well.
In an email dated July 1, USA Cycling officials stated “…it has become clear that many of the challenges in conducting safe and fair Nationals are insurmountable. In the end, we do not feel confident that we can ensure the safety of our participants, volunteers, staff, and host communities.”
USA Cycling officials are continuing to seek options for the collegiate events slated this fall as well as Marathon Mountain Bike and Cyclocross Nationals. Decisions are expected by July 31.
The national events staff expect to announce the 2021 Nationals schedule with dates and locations soon. USA Cycling will allow “current National Champions who are otherwise eligible to continue to wear the Stars and Stripes jerseys through the 2021 event.”
The information below is from USA Cycling’s email. Updates about the four fall races are expected at the end of July. Visit USA Cycling’s national championships page for more information [Update July 2: Cancellation notices do not appear on some race pages as of this morning. This may change in the coming days].
Revised 2020 USA Cycling National Championship Calendar
The following races are still on slated to be held:
- 2020 USA Cycling Collegiate Track National Championships, Sept. 10-13 (date unchanged) / Indianapolis, IN
- 2020 USA Cycling Collegiate Mountain Bike National Championships, Oct. 15-18 (date unchanged)/ Durango, CO
- 2020 USA Cycling Marathon Mountain Bike National Championships,
Sept. 12; new date Nov. 14 / Palo Duro, TX
- 2020 USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships, Dec. 8-13 (date unchanged) / Dupage County, IL
Canceled 2020 USA Cycling National Championship Events
The list below contains original race date(s) and the rescheduled date in brackets for events that were postponed. The strikethrough on all dates emphasizes their cancellation.
- 2020 USA Cycling Collegiate BMX Nationals,
- 2020 USA Cycling Collegiate Road National Championships,
- 2020 USA Cycling Pro Road National Championships,
- 2020 USA Cycling Amateur Road National Championships,
June 25-28 [Sept. 10-13]
- 2020 USA Cycling Masters Track National Championships,
June 30 – July 5 [Sept. 1-6]
- 2020 USA Cycling Para-cycling Track National Championships,
June 30 – July 5
- 2020 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships,
[Aug. 13-16 & Aug. 20-23]
- 2020 USA Cycling Gran Fondo National Championships,
July 19 [Aug. 23]
- 2020 USA Cycling Elite Track National Championships,
July 20-26 [Sept. 15-20]
- 2020 USA Cycling Junior Track National Championships,
July 20-26 [Sept. 15-20]
- 2020 USA Cycling Masters Road National Championships,
July 30 – Aug. 2 [Sept. 24-27]
The status of the 2020 USA Cycling Freestyle BMX National Championships, remains unknown.
This page will be updated as information becomes available.